Monday, October 22, 2007

This week has been insane, and also good.

I have my bike now. It's made a huge difference.

Wednesday I attended a rally for equality in the Baltimore public school system, it was organized by high school students and other young students from the Baltimore Algebra Project. They're really an amazing/inspiring group. I committed to getting arrested, but amazingly didn't.

The rest of the week I was doing about a million other things, one of which was a radical calendar zine. It was amazing to be done, and now the next one needs to get rolling.

I for some reason [blatant stupidity] agreed to collaborate/contribute to a few different peoples projects, and thought I could maybe finish an illo I'd be content with for the Indy. In the mean time, there is no progress on my thesis, and have yet to think too deeply about the other 12 pages of my 16 page 40+ edition zine due Friday. I was however glad to participate in this zine about being of "mixed breed". This was my contribution:

Argentinean-Russian-Jew

Then I spent the weekend mostly at the 2007 Mid-Atlantic Radical Book Fair. There were so many amazing talks. A total oasis of radical thinkers.
Here are some of the talks I attended, and not one was even remotely bad. Each one was more compelling than the next.
- Muhammad Ahmed presents "We Will Return in the Whirlwind: Black Radical Organization 1960-1975"
- Unconventional Action in Denver and the Twin Cities
- Radical References: Community Librarianship and Free/Open Source Technology
- Update from occupied Afghanistan from a member of RAWA (Revolutionary Association of the Women of Afghanistan)
- Ashanti Alston on international organizing
- Erik Ruin presents "Realizing the Impossible: Art Against Authority"
- Joy James presents "Warfare in the American Heartland: Policing & Prisons in a Penal Democracy, with a special phone-in by Black Panther and political prisoner Marshall "Eddie" Conway
- Independent journalist Dahr Jamail on the Iraq War, with members of Iraq Veterans Against the War

There were also too many amazing sounding talks I missed. There were always 3 talks/workshops going on at all times.

In any case, it was a lot to take in, but thought provoking in the best way.

In a few hours I'm pretty sure I'll be headed to a protest in D.C.
http://nowarnowarming.org/article.php?list=type&type=13


Dang, I have so much shit to do.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

You're posts are really intense! They're great reads!

the rogue optimist said...

Thank you! That's great to hear :)